Skip navigation links
Ground Water
Surface Water
Data & Maps
Documents & Forms
Division Offices
Skip navigation links
Well Permitting 
DWR > Ground Water > Well Permitting

The Division of Water Resources (DWR) has several types of well permit application forms to assist you in obtaining a permit to construct a new or replacement well. Using the correct form will greatly assist you in obtaining the documentation you require to proceed with the construction or replacement of a well in a timely fashion.  For additional information, read the Guide to Well Permits, Water Rights, and Water Administration.

First, it is important to know if you are located within one of the following: The Denver Basin, The Denver Basin AND a Designated Ground Water Basin, or A Designated Ground Water Basin

For residential uses there are generally three types of uses, depending on your particular needs and physical land situation.  Form GWS-44 may be used for all these types of uses.

  • Household Use Only
  • Livestock Watering Only
  • Residential Use (may include lawn/garden irrigation and/or domestic animal watering)

    For more information, please see the Residential or Household Use page.  All residential real estate transactions that include a well transfer require a Change of Owner Name/Address form to be completed and existing wells must be registered.

    For all other situations and types of uses the forms to use are:

    Well permits for most non-residential wells, such as irrigation, municipal, industrial, commercial, dewatering, remediation, and gravel pit ponds, are prohibited from being issued if they will be located within 600 feet of any existing well, unless allowed pursuant to a hearing held pursuant to procedural rules in 2CCR 402-5.  For further information, see the 600-foot Spacing Requirements document

    DWR will act upon emergency requests for well permit approval for some replacement well situations, some location changes, and some changes in source/aquifer.  See the document, "Emergency Well Permit Procedures" for additional information.

    Information concerning related costs for permitting can be found here.  For further information, or to obtain a specific form, please call the Ground Water Information Desk at (303) 866-3587, open 9am-4pm M-F.